Touchstone Energy Cooperative branding
Main Menu
Show More +


Ask Mr. Tight Watt: LED Office Lights  Smart Choices Archive

Ask Mr. Tight Watt: LED Office Lights

Mr. Tight Watt answers another reader's question!

Ask Mr. Tight-Watt

 A reader asks Mr. Tight Watt a question about LED lights.

Q: Do they make LED tubes to replace fluorescent U-Tubes yet? From Charles, a Smart Choices reader

Mr. Tight Watt asked for advice from Rob Kirkpatrick, chief operating officer of Service Concepts, an energy-efficient product service provider.

Rob’s answer: I have not been able to specifically identify a U-Tube configuration in LED replacement lights. However, a typical U-Tube application would be in a 2x2-foot drop-in ceiling fixture, and there are several companies beginning to offer options to meet that need, just not in that exact form factor.

Service Concepts has worked with one Colorado electric cooperative to replace can downlights and 2x2-foot fixtures with LED options. Below, you can see the “Before” and “After” photos.




The result, after a 1-for-1 replacement, was a conclusion that they could remove some of the LED fixtures, still have more than enough light, and relamp an entire additional office with the surplus. This was very impressive and provides a substantial (approximately 50 percent) energy savings over the original fluorescent lights.

I also have the 2x2-foot in my office and am delighted.

On the other hand, if your office uses the small PL-style compact fluorescents, often used in commercial downlights (shown below), there are several LED replacements for these that have been introduced in the past year.


Ask Mr. Tight-watt a question or view other questions Mr. Tight-Watt has answered

Share: Bookmark and Share

Email a FriendEmail article to a Friend

Print Friendly VersionPrint Friendly Version